1. Do not follow the evil law! Do not live on in thoughtlessness! Do
not follow false doctrine! Be not a friend of the world.
2. Rouse thyself! do not be idle! Follow the law of virtue! The
virtuous rests in bliss in this world and in the next.
3. Follow the law of virtue; do not follow that of sin. The virtuous
rests in bliss in this world and in the next.
4. Look upon the world as a bubble, look upon it as a mirage: the
king of death does not see him who thus looks down upon the world.
5. Come, look at this glittering world, like unto a royal chariot;
the foolish are immersed in it, but the wise do not touch it.
6. He who formerly was reckless and afterwards became sober,
brightens up this world, like the moon when freed from clouds.
7. He whose evil deeds are covered by good deeds, brightens up this
world, like the moon when freed from clouds.
8. This world is dark, few only can see here; a few only go to
heaven, like birds escaped from the net.
9. The swans go on the path of the sun, they go through the ether by
means of their miraculous power; the wise are led out of this world,
when they have conquered Mara and his train.
10. If a man has transgressed one law, and speaks lies, and scoffs at
another world, there is no evil he will not do.
11. The uncharitable do not go to the world of the gods; fools only
do not praise liberality; a wise man rejoices in liberality, and
through it becomes blessed in the other world.
12. Better than sovereignty over the earth, better than going to
heaven, better than lordship over all worlds, is the reward of the
first step in holiness.